The Episcopal Mission in Hellertown began in November 1908 and shared space with the village high school. In 1909 services were moved across Main Street to the Furnace School. St. George’s erected its first building in 1926 at Wagner and Main Streets. Sunday worship was conducted by pre-theological students from Lehigh University. Holy Communion was celebrated monthly by the Dean of Leonard Hall, which was the residence for these students.
The present building was constructed and dedicated in 1950. The Venerable Dean T. Stevenson, Dean of Leonard Hall, served as our first priest, and was followed with the arrival of our first full-time Vicar, Rev. David F. Gearhart in 1952. During these years, growth came from families living in the Mountainview section of town, where our first vicarage was purchased. A Christian education wing was added to the building in 1966, evidence of the parish's growth. A larger vicarage across from the church was purchased in 1976. Shortly thereafter, in 1979, St. George's became a self-supporting parish.
The 1970's and early 80's saw increased growth, especially in the Sunday School program. We built a rectory on our own property in 1986. However, the late 80's and early 90's saw growth taper off and decline set in, due in large part to the demise of Bethlehem Steel, where many parishioners worked. In 1997, the rectory was sold (at this time many clergy desired to own their own homes). Interest income from the sale is now used for the clergy housing allowance.
The first decade of the 21st century saw some stagnation in growth in the early years of the decade, and then a rebound during the last half. One of the highlights of this time was the dedication of the new Marjorie Clarke Weaver organ, and the installation of air conditioning in the Church.
1998 was the 90th anniversary of St. George's was celebrated, and 10 years later, in 2008, the 100th anniversary. Both celebrations were a testament to a parish congregation that has endured and thrived through the years, seeking to serve its Lord with fidelity and faithfulness. Never has the parish forgotten the initial sacrifice and hard work of those brave souls who founded this community, and ensured that it would be built upon a stable foundation- the Lord Jesus Christ.
Since 2010, St. George's is once again experiencing a growth spurt, with a renewed Church School program, many more children than the previous decade, excellent outreach endeavors, a renewed appreciation and love for our venerable Anglican Prayer Book tradition. There is nothing but hope and faith that our future will be, by God's grace, filled with the promise of the Holy Spirit, who has been our guide these 100+ years!